Health & Life Sciences
Our purpose is to engage with local life sciences, health and social care organisations to explore areas that could be developed to promote the health and life sciences business sector in the West of England LEP region. The group should represent and act as a reference group for this business sector.
The remit of the group should include: Development of the Health and Life Sciences sector in the West of England and linking health, social-community care and voluntary sectors with local businesses.
Aims for the group
- To explore areas where life sciences, health and social care sector will benefit economic growth in the region.
- To explore the best mechanisms to reflect key health and social care priorities for the WE region.
- To explore areas of human capital growth that could be expanded (e.g. training and workforce development).
- To develop appropriate links with other LEP sector groups with overlapping interests (e.g. High Tech and Social Enterprise).
The Health & Life Sciences Landscape
- The meetings were attended by a mix of different sector representatives from the health and life sciences businesses, NHS organisations, local universities and business support organizations. The representation of the group was reviewed and recommendations for future inclusion noted.
- The group should represent and act as a reference group for the Health and Life Sciences Sector in the West of England. It was recognised that this overlaps with existing structures and it was important to work in partnership with and not duplicate what is already happening in other organisations.
Method of Working
- This group should be open to anyone with a legitimate interest in developing the health and life sciences sector in the West of England.
- It was suggested the group begins with monthly meetings until it develops an agenda, this can be to quarterly though subsector groups may wish to meet on a more regular basis (An online presence, electronic portal to facilitate the communication within the group would be very beneficial).
- During the open discussions, key points were put forward by the group members and a number of priority areas emerged which are summarised the table on the next page.
- Next meeting to be scheduled by the end of September to agree and refine areas of focus.
- The group needs to agree it’s the Terms of Reference and reporting channels with LEP.
For more details on this group, please contact Melissa Houston