Bristol’s Quantum Engineering CDT offers a unique training and development experience for those wishing to pursue a career in the emerging quantum technologies industry. It supports the understanding of sound fundamental scientific principles and much more.
Our students are given the opportunity to put their burgeoning knowledge of science and engineering into practice from the outset. From the first year of study, they are placed in a state-of-the-art laboratory environment and asked to undertake both individual and group research projects.
This ‘cohort’ approach to learning - through peer-to-peer teaching, group lab projects and research challenges - creates an environment that is both stimulating and empowering. It supports students in the development of leadership skills and in the creation of personal support networks, and offers a first-class foundation for developing and completing a PhD project.
The Centre’s core staff are world-leading scientists and engineers with a proven track record in passing that knowledge and expertise on to others.
This is supplemented by access to a broad technology base as well as a network of both academic and industrial partner across the world - with whom students actively collaborate by way of secondments and conference attendance.
This, together with training in a variety of complementary skills such as entrepreneurship and project management, provides an unrivalled opportunity to learn and understand the foundations of quantum physics and then apply them to real world situations.
Our programme was designed in collaboration with a large number of academic and industry experts. It encompasses theoretical understanding and the practical application of quantum physics, and offers a breadth of opportunities for discussion.
- Guided and self-inspired research with a broad range of PhD research projects
- Practical application as well as a sound theoretical understanding of quantum physics
- Complementary skills – such as commercialisation and science communication - necessary for academic and industrial excellence
- Access to an international network of world-class academic and industrial collaborators
- Support for academic and industrial secondments
- Opportunity to attend international and national conferences
- A cohort approach to learning, enabling students to learn from each other in a rapidly evolving field
- Student-led organisation of an annual conference
- Access to a broad technology base and state-of-the-art facilities
Discover more here