Filton Enterprise Area
Filton Enterprise Area is one of a select group of strategically important employment locations across the West of England that complements the Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone. Each Enterprise Area will have defined incentives for business.
The Filton Enterprise Area is located on the north fringe of Bristol alongside the A38 in very close proximity to the M4/M5 motorway interchange providing direct east-west access to London and Cardiff and northsouth access to the Midlands and South West. The Filton Enterprise Area has at its heart a strategic new allocation of 50ha of essentially greenfield employment land located within the Cribbs/Patchway new neighbourhood with further capacity for development of around another 50ha on surrounding sites.
Filton has a long and successful history in advanced engineering, aerospace and defence driven by knowledge, innovation, enterprise and excellence which today confirms the position of Filton as a world leader in cutting-edge aerospace and aviation technology. The area is already the established home for a number of world class aerospace, advanced engineering and manufacturing businesses including Airbus, Rolls-Royce, and GKN who already benefit from the unrivalled location, profile, access and highly skilled workforce.
Filton Enterprise Area has the potential to be promoted as an internationally important opportunity for businesses to locate directly alongside existing successful enterprises, with a focus on the following activities:
- Aerospace design, research and manufacture
- Advanced manufacturing
- Emerging materials technologies (working closely with the National Composite Centre located at the Bristol and Bath Science Park)
- Information technology, maximising the potential of superfast broadband
- Micro electronics research and design
In addition to the core business activities detailed above the Enterprisde Area could also support:
- Supply chain businesses supporting the core business activities
- Financial and Business services sector
- Data services
- Sustainable and low carbon energy research, development and manufacturing
- Environmental technology
Whilst having the potential to support and allow the growth of existing businesses already present in and around Filton, the Enterprise Area will attract inward investment from UK and International businesses looking to relocate or establish a UK/European presence. The regeneration of land will be a key objective facilitating investment in local and strategic infrastructure, and creating opportunities for enhanced growth, export growth and wealth creation within the West of England.
A key measure of success when developing the Enterprise Area will be the extent to which development also achieves community cohesion and integration. The local community will be able to share in the benefits of the investment and in the opportunities created through employment led growth.
The development of the Filton Enterprise Area, whilst led by South Gloucestershire Council, will be in close collaboration with existing leading businesses and the Further and Higher Education centres within the area. It will provide opportunities for universities and colleges to educate, innovate and develop skills in close partnership with industry creating a long term, high quality skills and employment base which will serve to further attract and secure businesses within the area.
- North fringe of Bristol/A38
- Highly concentrated employment area
- Focus on aerospace, advanced engineering and manufacturing
- Almost 50% of employment in South Gloucestershire is in the north fringe
- 100 hectares of developable employment land
- East Works – 26 hectares
- Charlton Hayes – 14 hectares
- Rodney Works – 5 hectares
- Airfield – 50 hectares
- Cribbs/Patchway – 5 hectares
- Core Strategy protected employment location
- Planning position known for East Works, Charlton Hayes and Rodney Works
- Highly sought after area in terms of location, profile, access and workforce
- Potential job growth 7,000 – 12,000 to 2026
- 185,130 square meters commercial floorspace within five years
For more information: Invest Bristol & Bath